Bridging the Gap (BTG) is a unique, culturally relevant non-formal, science-based environmental education (EE) program for grade four, inner-city youth, managed by Nature Manitoba in partnership with The City of Winnipeg Naturalist Services Branch. This year-long program provides grade four inner-city youth with free culturally relevant, science-based EE programming including full-day field trips to local natural areas, in-class activities, as well as opportunities to experience and learn about nature first hand by participating in stewardship initiatives such as gardening.
- Ensure that all youth have the opportunity to experience, enjoy, and learn about our natural ecosystems and engage in culturally relevant, science-based environmental educational activities.
- Facilitate rekindling of cultural world views for an urban, largely Indigenous population.
- Foster an awareness and appreciation of the natural environment and an understanding of humanity's place therein; and foster the development of the next generation of environmental stewards.
OUR GOALS & OUR VISION
The overall goal of BTG is to assist in developing genuine attitude and value changes in learners, fostering not only increased environmental awareness but also a sense of empowerment and commitment to stewardship principles.
Vision: Address local social, economic and environmental issues through a bioregional lens of curricular based science and cultural education.
- Providing Grade four inner-city youth with:
- free culturally relevant, science-based EE programming including full-day field trips to local natural areas and ongoing in-class activities;
- an opportunity to experience and learn about nature first hand through safe and enjoyable outdoor experiences; and
- opportunities to participate in stewardship initiatives;
- employing strategies to respectfully include traditional Indigenous cultural values with the program's science based learning outcomes;
- involving local Elders to share traditional cultural teachings.
If you are interested in getting involved with BTG, please visit our website for more information