Manitoba Important Bird Areas Program Assistant
The Manitoba Important Bird Area (IBA) Program is hiring a Program Assistant. This position is based out of Winnipeg and includes travel to various IBAs in southern Manitoba. The position is a 300-hour part-time contract at $13-$15hr depending on experience - start date May 2019.
For more information on the Manitoba IBA program, visit: http://importantbirdareasmb.ca.
Working closely with the IBA Coordinator, the responsibilities of the Program Assistant are to:
- monitor the endangered Chimney Swift in urban areas of Manitoba, especially Winnipeg;
- monitor populations of threatened birds in Manitoba’s IBAs;
- assist with bird monitoring blitzes in Manitoba’s IBAs;
- assist with organising events and activities for the Manitoba IBA Program;
- provide outreach to landowners with the federally threatened Chimney Swift;
- research and develop educational materials for landowners and the general public to promote Manitoba’s IBAs;
- represent the IBA Program at meetings, local events and festivals in southern and central Manitoba;
- assist with Manitoba IBA blog site and social media set-up;
- assist with volunteer and partner communications via email and phone;
- other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant will have:
- A minimum of 2 years of post-secondary education in biology, conservation or environmental science degree / diploma program
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in the natural history of Manitoba
- A keen interest in, knowledge of and ability to identify birds in Manitoba
- Previous experience in environmental education and outreach is a strong asset
- Experience with & knowledge of Wordpress, Facebook and the Microsoft Office suite
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work well as a team and independently
Interested in applying?
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the position:
- youth aged 15 to 29,
- living in Manitoba, and
- legally entitled to work in Canada.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward their resume and short 1 page cover letter as 1 PDF file by email to the IBA Coordinator at email@example.com (Subject line: IBA Program Assistant) by May 10th, 2019.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.